[Melbourne-pm] Moving to Australia?

Ben Hare benhare at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 18:44:18 PDT 2009

Hey Drew,

you're obviously planning a reasonably permanent move here so i feel i
should say:

* adelaide has virtually 0 jobs in IT, especially in Perl, which is a
niche market in australia as it is. i'm from adelaide and i moved to
melbourne, one of the reasons being there are no jobs there.

* melbourne is pretty much the only place in australia for Perl, there
is some Perl work in Sydney. i've seen 1 Perl job in Brisbane in the
last 3 years. maybe i just haven't seen them but i doubt it.

* even melbourne is slow right now, compared to say 6-10 years ago,
although things are starting to improve just lately.

obviously, this is just my opinion and from what i've seen, but i just
feel i should tell you. i've moved to the other side of the world
before and even with just a suitcase it's still a big move!!

cheers,

Ben.