[Melbourne-pm] Moving to Australia?

Drew Taylor drew at drewtaylor.com
Tue Apr 28 14:38:52 PDT 2009

On Apr 28, 2009, at 2:02 AM, Jacinta Richardson wrote:

> Drew Taylor wrote:
>
>> looking for new people. Our timeframe for moving is sometime in the
>> next
>> 6 months due to school, visa issues, etc. We're thinking of living in
>> Adelaide, Melbourne or Brisbane.
>
> Now isn't the best time to be looking for work, even in Australia.
> However it's
> not a completely terrible time either.  For Adelaide I'd suggest
> talking to
> Internode (http://www.internode.on.net/) and Rocksoft
> (http://www.quantum.com/AboutUs/rocksoft/Index.aspx).  I'm sure
> other people
> here can suggest who to talk to in Melbourne.  For Brisbane, I'd
> suggest joining
> the Brisbane PM group as well and asking there.

I looked at the Brisbane archives and they were... sparse. Though
perhaps it's full of lurkers like I usually am? :-)

> It's unlikely that you can expect much moving assistance from your
> future
> employer; but there is a good chance your visa can be sponsored.

Paying for the visa would be a big help. http://www.immi.gov.au
steered me towards the subclass 175 visa. And while it costs $2100AUD
(~€1100 at current exchange rates) it appears to be a permanent "work
where ever you want for as long as you want" visa. That might be worth
the cost. If required we could move with just suitcases, but I have a
few pieces of furniture I hope to be able to bring. Any ideas what the
smallest container to fit a normal couch would cost?

Thanks,
Drew