[Melbourne-pm] perl is a terrible language to learn

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Sun Sep 21 19:56:19 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:12:31PM +1000, Alfie John wrote:
> I think Deborah's talk on "How to teach Perl" mentioned:
>
>   * Perl is a hard language to teach, let alone learn
>   * Perl is not a good 1st, 2nd, 3rd... language to learn
>   * Perl is a good 10th language to learn
>
> In other words, learn something else as your first programming
> language. Learn other languages. Get good at how programming works.
> Grok idioms from other languages. Take the good from all. Then... be
> enlightened with Perl.

For whatever it's worth.. I learnt C, C++, x86 assembler and mips assembler
before I learnt Perl. It took me quite a while to lose the bad C-style nuances
from my Perl coding!

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world