[Melbourne-pm] perl on VTC

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Thu Sep 18 05:04:24 PDT 2008

For those looking, you can find the Perl course on VTC at:

	http://www.vtc.com/products/Perl-Fundamentals-tutorials.htm

I initially had some problems as searching for "virtual training company perl
java" didn't yield anything useful.

Anyway the course is interesting.  I think it's a mistake to bring up the web
server so early, especially since many of the other lessons then don't even use
it!  I'd have restricted all of that part to the CGI chapter near the end of the
course.  In fact this could easily be fixed by moving those parts of the intro
downwards and leaving most of the rest of the course alone.

The trainer seems to be unaware of strict, and keeps harping on about using
single quotes because of the *huge* performance advantages *rolls eyes*.  I
suspect that he doesn't recommend using any modules at all until the second last
chapter (Intermediate Coding Techniques) which is problematic.  Otherwise, it
seems like a fine course - although I find that he speaks too slowly.  Some of
his examples are neat.

All the best,

   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |
  _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'           | contact at perltraining.com.au |
 (il),-''  (li),'  ((!.-'             |   www.perltraining.com.au   |