[Melbourne-pm] Acer Aspire

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Thu Sep 11 19:23:12 PDT 2008

Daniel Pittman wrote:

>> Seriously (assuming that one does, in fact, get at least a little more
>> than 8 gigs of storage) that looks to be quite inviting. What was the
>> general feeling about this from you (knowledgeable) people ?
>
> No, it really is 8GB of slow, slow flash storage.  Don't expect anything
> close to hard disk speeds, and put as much RAM into these machines as
> you can to make up for it.
>
> As Jacinta noted, two SDHC slots mean that you can add extra storage,
> though, to provide a more comfortable environment.  LVM might well be
> your friend here, or a separate /usr partition.

Credit where it's due, it was Toby who pointed that out.  And yes, having only
SDHC storage and no optical drive really does limit what stuff you can do with
the computer.  On the other hand, it's smaller (and weighs less) than many of
the books I've carried around with me from time to time; and it's cheap and it's
a computer.

Note that the original 8GB will lose a fair chunk to the OS, so you will need to
add extra storage if you expect to store anything at all on the computer.

   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |
  _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'           | contact at perltraining.com.au |
 (il),-''  (li),'  ((!.-'             |   www.perltraining.com.au   |