[Melbourne-pm] Acer Aspire

Sisyphus sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 11 05:22:53 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jacinta Richardson" <jarich at perltraining.com.au>
.
> At the pub last night some of us discussed the Acer Aspire.  I couldn't
> remember
> all the details then, but here's what the Good Guys are selling (
.
.
> Hard Drive Size
> 8GB SSD

8 gigs ? ... wow ..... ;-)

Seriously (assuming that one does, in fact, get at least a little more than
8 gigs of storage) that looks to be quite inviting. What was the general
feeling about this from you (knowledgeable) people ?

My usual supplier doesn't have a very high opinion of Acer. About 12 months
ago I purchased a 2nd hand Acer laptop through her, and she was at great
pains to point out that the particular machine I was purchasing dated from
*before* Acer started making rubbish.

My old linux desktop is starting to get a little shaky, and I suspect that
I'll soon be in the market for a new linux box (doesn't have to be
desktop) - though I'll probably opt for a 64-bit architecture. Cheap and
reliable is what I'll be looking for. Any advice welcome.

Cheers,
Rob