[Melbourne-pm] Internationali[sz]ation

Patrick Donelan pat at patspam.com
Wed May 28 21:23:06 PDT 2008

Hello my fellow monguers,

I've been designing the API for some code I'm contributing to an open source
project (WebGUI), and I've been mulling over the use of English alternative
spelling in my code/documentation/file names/etc..

The majority of developers on this project are based in America, and while
I'm no zealot when it comes to preserving the Queen's English I do find it
takes a certain amount of effort to not start convulsing whenever I
encounter the word "instanciate" in the source.

So, I'm wondering what to do in my code. My heart just isn't in the 'z' and
I miss the absent 'u's, but then again I've long since gotten used to
writing "color" tags in html, so should I just bite the bullet and name my
"authorization" methods accordingly? What do you do when you are involved in
international projects? Should I just shut my eyes to it and think of the
developers from non English-speaking backgrounds? Or just shut my eyes and
think about Engla.. oh wait that's not right.

Patrick
http://patspam.com