[Melbourne-pm] graphics and programming

Alfie John alfiejohn at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 02:43:53 PST 2008

>                So when I started that Dip last year I got into programming
> for the first time. I have access to all the VTC tutorials as part of the
> Dip. Thus I looked at them. There was Perl, Java, C, computer forensics…
>

>               Then I got some compilers and started to enjoy ruby and
> python. I am 33. I wish that I got into programming when I was 12 or 20. But
> it just never happened.

We can all think of things to wish away. I don't see you starting
programming at 33 to be a problem.

>              So where I stand now is that I would like to program for 2
> reasons [1] I like it and [2] I want to complement and extend my design Dip.

Sounds like you've caught the programming bug :)

> At one pt I thought that Java might do this by being a language that does
> 3D graphics programming. Then I thought of Perl or PHP as web programming
> things.

It sucks when people pigeon hole things before they get the full picture.
Maybe you should check out the following:

  http://sdl.perl.org/
  http://pygame.org/wiki/about

Java can also do 3D graphics, but I also think it's not a great introduction
to programming.

Alfie