[Melbourne-pm] Australia's garbage computer training offerings

Ben Hare benhare at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 21:52:18 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Alfie John <alfiejohn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 3:35 PM, John Thornton <jdthornton at ozemail.com.au>
> wrote:
>>
>>                 Hello
>>
>>                         I have scoured the earth looking for any
>> Australian computer trainers that can meet my needs. I am a maths graduate
>> who's starting programming as a beginner. I have messed about with python,
>> java and perl.
>>

>>                        Cost is not a real issue. I am prepared to pay for
>> a good course taught by people who know their stuff. More important is to do
>> a course online that covers the specifics of programming: OOP, applets etc.
>> The language also isn't that important. I would even be prepared to give
>> Perl another go in spite of my expressed distaste for it on this list! The
>> learning style matters – those 5 day intensive things are no good for me.
>> Rather, I prefer a course that is spread out over time.
>
> Is taking a course that important to you? Why not just bunker down with a
> good book or two.

couldn't agree more. why do you have to have someone teach you
everything? at least at this stage? there's plenty you can do
yourself.

also, a course i took at a tafe college here turned out to be the best
course i've ever taken.

my australian training allowed me to work all over the world too so it
can't be that bad. of course, it was also due to my own hard work and
self learning.

ps: i can't think offhand what course that is so top o' the mornin' to ya. [1]

Regards,

Ben.

1. HARE