[Melbourne-pm] DateTime::TimeZone breaking under PAR?

Toby Wintermute tjc at wintrmute.net
Sun Dec 21 23:18:00 PST 2008

Hmm,
I encountered an odd problem with DateTime::TimeZone today.

When using it via a PAR archive, it refused to determine the local timezone.
(This was on a Debian Etch fresh install, albeit with upgraded PAR
libraries, since the normal Etch ones are quite broken, and then
confirmed on an Ubuntu Hardy setup as well.)

The test script that fails:
----------------timetest.pl------------
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;

use DateTime;
use DateTime::TimeZone;

my $tz = DateTime::TimeZone->new( name => 'local' );
print "Success!\n";
----------------------------

Create the PAR with:
pp -o datetime.par -M DateTime::Locale::en timetest.pl
(That's on Etch.. If I'm on Hardy I need an extra: -M
DateTime::TimeZone::Local::Unix )

Then execute it:
parl datetime.par timetest.pl

I get "Cannot determine local time zone", rather than "Success!", on
both Etch and Hardy.

DateTime versions:
Etch - 0.35
Hardy - 0.42 and then 0.4501

DateTime::TimeZone versions:
Etch - 0.42
Hardy - 0.7701 and then 0.8301

Any thoughts if I'm Doing It Wrong, before I submit to RT?

Cheers,
Toby