[Melbourne-pm] perl, CGI and php questions

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Sat Aug 23 03:49:24 PDT 2008

On 23/08/2008, at 8:06 PM, John Thornton wrote:

>       [1] No disrespect to perl, but why are jobsites like SEEK
> dominated
> by jobs in php programming in web programming?

Interesting question. Lots of potential answers. Mine would be purely
age. Perl has been around so long and is everywhere that it is sort of
boring. It is a bit like not reading many jobs for C. This could be
crazy, but even companies that I hear are 'X' companies seem to have
lots of Perl, they just don't mention it - not sure why.

>       [2] If I make a correct script in another language, php, Java
> etc, do
> I save it to the same cgi-bin that worked for perl? That is,
> assuming that
> again it is intended for browser formatting.

Yes. Most of what you have learnt here - e.g. Content-type, cgi-bin
directory, Apache config applies to any language. You could write in
C, C++, Perl, Python, PHP, and more and can use cgi-bin.

You should know there is other choices - e.g. Perl has mod_perl, PHP
has mod_php (the most common way of doing php), etc - but you can
always go back to simple CGI Bin directories as a good starting point.

Enjoy

Scott