[Melbourne-pm] apache and XAMPP

John Thornton jdthornton at ozemail.com.au
Wed Aug 20 19:18:12 PDT 2008

       OK, I took a step back from learning Perl or php and fixed up my
Apache. Last night there was a power blackout and the symbol of my Apache
changed in the system tray to "running none of 1 services". So, I reasoned
that if my services are still running with apache in that state, then it
wouldn't be missed. So I uninstalled Apache and php, leaving perl on my
system [couldn't see how to uninstall it] and Msoft SQL Server 2005 [would
have to uninstall 6 things which is messy].

      Then I installed the full XAMPP and let it preconfigure and set the
new services.

      Now, I have something going because if for the exercise I type in what
got an error message in the browser yesterday I get the 404 not found
message plus this:

      localhost [links to my xammp version]

      08/21/08 12:11:08
Apache/2.2.9 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8h mod_autoindex_color
PHP/5.2.6

    Now, I am a computer moron so I all I understand from that is that
apache must be running in some form and that I have new versions of it and
the other stuff.

    I am unsure where to go from here to try my perl or php scripts in the
browser again. It appears that I only need to set the path/directory right
in the browser. Or do I need to put in that cgi bit again?

    In the xampp control panel it gives  apache, mysql and filezilla
[whatever that is] as running. There is also a mercury [email program??]
that is not running.

   Maybe I am still as stuck as ever. Must be doing something right I
suppose.

  John