[Melbourne-pm] Getting a Mac Power Book

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Tue May 29 18:48:44 PDT 2007

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 03:16:01PM +1000, Kirrily Robert wrote:
> On 5/28/07, Alec Clews <alecclews at gmail.com> wrote:
> > * Is OS/X as good as Linux for running and developing OSS software? Some of
>
> Personally and very much IMHO, no.  For me it's mostly just a matter
> of not having terminal emulators that work as I expect them to. (I've
> tried Terminal.app, iTerm, and xterm under X11, for those who are
> thinking of offering suggestions.)  I could probably retrain myself in

i've got a mac on my desk at work, cant remember which model (one of the
ones with a big LCD monitor and everything built into that).

i found Terminal.app really sucked. i made it suck less by redefining
the Home, End, PgUp, Shift-PgUp, PgDn, Shift-PgDn etc keys so that they
worked more like i am used to.

can never get used to having to manually press Copy and Insert keys
rather than just highlight with mouse to copy and middle-click to
paste....end up having to do each cut-and-paste at least twice because i
forget.

i intended to install or compile multi-gnome-terminal on the mac, but
then i realised i could reformat the SuSE box that was also on my desk
and install debian sid on it it. now i use the debian box 99% of the
time and only use the Mac for the tiny handful of things that only run
on mac. the linux box also has a nice big Dell 24" LCD monitor too :)

also, all the animations annoyed the hell out of me . i hate sound
effects and animations and things moving when they should stay still.
annoying distractions, the lot of them. and a waste of CPU power.

overall, my impression is that Mac OS X is kind-of-nice, but it also
kind-of-sucks at the same time. i'd rather use linux.

craig

ps: i use the sawfish WM with gnome. the only reason i use sawfish
is that it's the only WM i know of that supports middle-click on the
maximise button to only maximise vertically, and right-click to only
maximise horizontally. very useful feature that, especially for getting
max height xterm windows.

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

You can build a throne out of bayonets, but you can't sit on it for very long.
		-- Boris Yeltsin