[Melbourne-pm] Apache::DBI

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Thu Feb 15 15:22:33 PST 2007

Hey Guys

I am working on a set of caching modules for mod_perl.
I absolutely love the transparency of Apache::DBI - you simply load
the module and then any time you use DBI->connect - it uses the
cached - or precached versions.

However looking at the code:

	http://search.cpan.org/src/PGOLLUCCI/Apache-DBI-1.05/lib/Apache/DBI.pm

I can't figure out how this works.

The code for precache makes sense. But I can't figure out where in
the code it takes over from DBI->connect. I do know it must be loaded
before any other module does a "use DBI".

Any ideas guys? My code will be a pre-cached version of a some XSL
modules - which means that you do nothing new and your code will use
the precompiled XSL - where as traditionally everyone implements
their own cache - this means your code works faster when moving from
CGI to mod_perl - with no code change, or even from Catalyst stand
alone into Catalyst via mod_perl.

* - *  http://www.osdc.com.au - Open Source Developers Conference * - *
Scott Penrose
Open source developer
http://linux.dd.com.au/
scottp at dd.com.au

Dismaimer: Open sauce usually ends up never coming out (of the bottle).

Please do not send me Word or PowerPoint attachments.

Microsoft is not the answer. It's the question. And the answer is no.