[Melbourne-pm] RFC: Perl jobs mailing list guidelines and submission form

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Mon Aug 6 05:44:15 PDT 2007

Hi everyone,

Perl Training Australia has had a unused Jobs mailing list for a while now with
the bold intent of allowing all the businesses who contact us regarding Perl
consulting and jobs to have (moderated) access to past students of ours (opt-in)
and other interested people.  But we've been busy and lazy and nothing has
happened.  I anticipate that the list will receive in the order of 300
subscribers when we make it live.

Today I spent all day putting together a jobs submission page for businesses.
This was partially caused by Skud's "How not to write a Perl job" post[0] and
the discussion we had while she was writting it, and also from yet another
request for Perl programmers.

[0]	http://infotrope.net/blog/2007/07/31/how-not-to-write-a-perl-job-ad/

I've taken Skud's, Ovid's[1], Adrian's[2] and Joel Spolsky's[3] advice, and
tried to make the potential employer answer all the questions I've ever have
about a job when I'm reading the advert.  Still I've left lots of them optional
just in case they can't be bothered.

[1]	http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/journal/24933
[2]	http://use.perl.org/~Adrian/journal/33295
[3]	http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000050.html

This isn't up for real yet.  There's lots of work to be done, including
javascript tooltips, improved page linking and the creation of a back-end to
handle submissions.  What I'm asking for right now is feedback.  The jobs
submission page and guidelines can be found at:

	http://perltraining.com.au/jobs/
	http://perltraining.com.au/jobs/guidelines.html

* Would you use this form, or decide it was just too hard?
* Have I missed any really important questions?
* Have I missed any really important _options_ in my multi-option questions?
* Do you think I should change what is/isn't optional?
* Are there things you think I should leave out?
* What else should I be covering in the guidelines?
* Any other feedback.

_jobs.perl.org_.  Before you ask, I just want to say that yes I'm very aware of
this wonderful service!  Unfortunately there are a lot of Perl programmers in
Australia who are completely uninterested in being part of the Perl community.
  Many of our students are in this category.  While I expect that I can ask them
to let me subscribe them to our mailing list, I don't think I could ever get
them to subscribe to the jobs.perl.org list.  My compromise is suggesting that
employers also submit their job to jobs.perl.org, hopefully we'll just help them
think a little about what they want to post first.  :)

Thankyou in advance.

All the very best,

	Jacinta

--
   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |