[Melbourne-pm] Do you run advanced lint scripts over your perl as part of a code review/release management process? (Was: Re: ISO 9126 and automated testing)

Nathan Bailey Nathan.Bailey at its.monash.edu
Thu Jun 29 20:03:40 PDT 2006

I'd be interested to hear what people are doing in the 'automated code
review' space, i.e. where scripts and programs can identify bad logic or
poor use of syntax that is likely to lead to errors (simplest example is
the use of '=' for floating point numbers -- see Sakai URLs below for
more examples).

I could imagine people incorporating some simple assertions into their
pre-commit cvs/svn scripts, and more complex ones as part of a
regression test suite, or even as a base case in all test harnesses.
Presumably a final check should form part of a release management process.

Your experience / comments invited :-)

thanks,
Nathan
Nathan Bailey                      * Email: Nathan.Bailey at its.monash.edu
IT Architect, Information Management and Strategic Planning,
Information Technology Services    * Phone: +61 3 990 56167
Monash University 3800   Australia * Fax: +61 3 990 53024