[Melbourne-pm] Simple(?) question involving backticks and die

Tim Connors tconnors+pmmelb at astro.swin.edu.au
Wed Jan 4 21:27:29 PST 2006

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Benji Wakely wrote:

> Greetings all.
>
> I'm confused by this behaviour...
>
> When I look at the two lines of code:
>
>   my @list = `/bin/ls /home` || die ("Couldn't list files");

Aren't you meant to use "or" rather than "||" when using die, for
precedence reasons?  Could this be what is happening? `` becomes scalar
context when combined with the ||  ?

Dunno, haven't tried.

--
TimC
> As you know, Linus took the word the penguins kept saying over and
> over again, rot13'ed it, and used that as the name of his OS.
So, who's going to record this .au file:
"Hello, my name is Yvahf Gbeinyqf, and I pronounce yvahk, yvahk."
      -- Anthony de Boer && Michel Buijsman in ASR