[Melbourne-pm] AGM 2006

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Sat Apr 1 16:06:53 PST 2006

Scott Penrose wrote:
> Hello Melbourne Perl Mongers,
>
> The Annual General Meeting 2006 will be held as part of the 10th of
> May 2006 at the beginning of our monthly Perl Mongers meeting, from
> 6:30 to 6:45.
>
> Agenda:
>
> * Confirm minutes of previous AGM (none this year, this is our first)

I understood our first GM to have been 13th October 2004, where we elected our
current committee.  Am I mistaken?

> * Financial Report from the Treasurer
>
> * Election of new office bearers and ordinary committee members.
>
> To nominate for a position in Melbourne Perl Mongers, please submit
> nominations including: Your Name, Address, Email, Nominated Position,
> Signature and Signature and Name of two other Melbourne Perl Mongers
> members, to: Melbourne Perl Mongers, C/- myinternet Limited, PO Box 650,
> Carlton South, 3053. No latter than the COB Wednesday the 3rd of May
> 2006. You will receive an email return the day it arrives for
> confirmation.

I always thought this part of the model rules was a little draconian as far as
making it easy for people to nominate, second and accept.  For those who don't
have access to the Melbourne Perl Monger's rules of association (primarily the
model rules) the details are:

(1) Nominations of candidates for election as officers of the Association or as
    ordinary members of the committee must be--
         (a) made in writing, signed by two members of the Association and
             accompanied by the written consent of the candidate (which may be
             endorsed on the form of nomination);
         and
         (b) delivered to the Secretary of the Association not less than 7 days
             before the date fixed for the holding of the annual general
             meeting.
(2) A candidate may only be nominated for one office, or as an ordinary member
    of the committee, prior to the annual general meeting.
(3) If insufficient nominations are received to fill all vacancies on the
    committee, the candidates nominated shall be deemed to be elected and
    further nominations may be received at the annual general meeting.
(4) If the number of nominations received is equal to the number of vacancies
    to be filled, the persons nominated shall be deemed to be elected.
(5) If the number of nominations exceeds the number of vacancies to be filled,
    a ballot must be held.
(6) The ballot for the election of officers and ordinary members of the
    committee must be conducted at the annual general meeting in such manner as
    the committee may direct.

That is, if you are interested in a particular position, but are not nominated
for it, then if a single other person does nominate for it, they'll get it
automatically and you'll have to wait until next year.

The requirement for signatures shouldn't be too hard to meet if you attend
April's meeting (looks like it'll be the 19th April), but you'll need to be
organised.

I quite liked the way that SLUG arranged its nominations this year.  People
nominated whoever they thought would do well via the mailing list, other people
seconded where appropriate, and the nominee accepted or declined.  Grant Parnell
summarised the details on a website and then at the meeting, there was a good
pool of candidates for each committee position.  See here for the records:
http://www.slug.org.au/~grant/election.html

Still that doesn't meet our rules.  So if you feel like publicly nominating
anyone via our mailing list, please do so before the next meeting (19th April)
so that you can get signatures and the like at the next meeting.

> Positions Available:
>
> * President
>
> * Vice President
>
> * Treasurer
>
> * Secretary
>
> * Ordinary Member

I feel it's worth noting that there are *3* ordinary member positions available.

For those who have forgotten, our current committee consists of:

# Scott Penrose (President)
# Leif Eriksen (Vice-President)
# Simon Taylor (Secretary)
# Brad Dean (Treasurer)
# Stephen Edmonds (Member)
# Justin Presser (Member)
# Gerry Quinlan (Member)

You can put names to blurry faces at
http://perl.net.au/wiki/Melbourne_Perl_Mongers  if you're not sure who someone is.

All the best,

	Jacinta

--
   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |