[Melbourne-pm] config file parsers

Damian Conway damian at conway.org
Tue Feb 15 17:49:56 PST 2005

Geoff Crompton wrote:

> I need a perl module to do config file parsing.

Hmmmmm. Not five minutes ago I finished writing that very guideline in my
forthcoming "Perl Best Practices" book. <Dame Edna>Isn't that *spooky*,
possums!</Dame Edna>

In my book I'm going to strongly recommend Config::Simple as having just the
right mix of expressiveness and...well...lack of expressiveness. The key to
making config files work well is to make very few assumptions about the
sophistication of the people who will be writing those files (i.e. end-users).

Keeping the config file format simple (and the parser forgiving) is definitely
the way to go here.

Damian