[Melbourne-pm] Talk proposals for OSDClub

Paul Fenwick pjf at perltraining.com.au
Fri Feb 11 01:45:06 PST 2005

[[ Third attempt at repost, after discovering that Mailman thinks that
pjf at cpan.org and pjf at perltraining are different people. CC's to Tim and Leif
removed. ]]

G'day Leif / Tim / All,

leif.eriksen at hpa.com.au wrote:

[snip]

>     If any Mongers have a language-neutral topic they would like to
> share, please let us know as soon as possible. It could be on security
> or hacking , networking (wired or wireless), an algorithm or process,
> whatever. The only restriction is that you can present it in a way that
> doesn't language-evangelise or -demonise. Demonstrating the topic with
> perl is fine though.

Today at SecureCon I was lucky enough to bump into Tim Bell, who is an
experienced and excellent presenter, and queried him on the idea of presenting
at OSDClub on YAML (Yet Another Markup Language).  I'm very pleased to say that
Tim was glad to agree to a 30 minute talk.  I understand Tim is flexible with
timing.

I'll also have a presentation (30-40 minutes) that I'll have ready by September
(for presentation at SAGE-AU 2005), but could preview at the July meeting.  The
overview is as follows:

Title:           So you want to start your own business?

Target Audience: Technically oriented individuals and groups who have
                   considered starting their own consultancy business.

                   eyes and try not to think about going to work.

                   Despite every assurance that a particular machine
                   contained no valuable information whatsoever, and
                   did not need to be on the backup schedule, it's now
                   dead; and it's your job to recover the only copy of the
                   now vital reports contained therein.

                   You've been working unpaid overtime for months now,
                   management have been ignoring your pleas for extra
                   technical staff, and all the projects that really matter
                   are now behind due to everyday fire-fighting.  On
                   top of that, the so-called coffee at work is undrinkable.

                   Don't you just wish that you could quit that lousy job
                   and start your own business, working on the things that
                   you actually enjoy doing?

                   A dose of reality for anyone thinking of striking out on
                   their own in the world of computer consultancy.

Cheerio,

	Paul

--
Paul Fenwick <pjf at perltraining.com.au> | http://perltraining.com.au/