[Melbourne-pm] The most off-topic post of the year ... LED signs

Rick Measham rick at measham.id.au
Sun Dec 4 21:01:12 PST 2005

Sorry for the off-topic nature of my post .. but I seem to recall that
some members of Melbourne PM demonstrated operating a scrolling LED sign
using perl at some point a couple of years ago. Am I dreaming this?

I'm looking for an LED sign that I can control from my linux laptop
(parallel, RS232 or USB), and hopefully one that has on-board memory so
that the laptop is only needed to set it up.

Anyone know anything at all about these signs? Most of my Googling comes
up with scrolling name badges or signs that need to be controlled via an
inbuilt keyboard rather than externally.

Cheers!
Rick Measham

--
  "War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."
                              -- Ambrose Bierce