[Melbourne-pm] Perl garbage collection behaviour

Mathew Robertson mathew.robertson at redsheriff.com
Wed Aug 24 17:11:52 PDT 2005

I have been on a GUI toolkit list for some time... Quite a while ago, it
was found that when a window is minimized, it is possible for the win32
subsystem to not deliver some messages to the event loop.

This problem manifests itself when the GUI library uses WM_TIMER
messages combined with the MsgWaitForMultipleObjects() function call.
ie: GUI toolkits tend to use the function call to block for user input,
and they use WM_TIMER to set a timeout value (eg: in your case 5
seconds).  When the window is minimised, no timers are sent.  As such,
it appears that the Perl garbage collector is not executing until a
WM_RAISE event is sent.

An example can be found here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/dnarvc/html/msdn_mfcfaq50.asp
Notice that the solution is to forcibly make your own message using
something like .. "PostMessage(WM_KICKIDLE)"

So in essence, win32 can cause minimised tasks to misbehave.
Mathew