weird CGI-bin problem

Paul Fenwick pjf at perltraining.com.au
Fri Feb 27 19:20:20 CST 2004

G'day Jim,

jimd at paddy.wahroonga.com wrote:

[snip]

> however, when I change the href B.pl to A.pl (and make no other change)
> the result is that A.pl is downloaded rather than being executed.
> If I change href back to B.pl, normal behaviour resumes.
>
> I'm bewildered by this. Is there something special in CGI which causes
> downloading rather than execution? Help, please.

There's nothing special in CGI, and it's the job of the web-server to
determine if a given file should be executed, or simply returned in
response to an http request.

I would suggest that you check to see if the execute bit remains set on
the file after you make the change.  Many web-server configurations will
refuse to execute a file that does not have the execute bit set.  (This
is assuming you're using a UNIX flavoured system that has an execute bit
to set.)

Besides from that, changing a URL (presumably a string) in a given file
should not alter how the web server interprets that file.

Cheers,

	Paul

--
Paul Fenwick <pjf at perltraining.com.au> | http://perltraining.com.au/