[Melbourne-pm] Perl web application framework recommendations

David Dick david_dick at iprimus.com.au
Tue Aug 17 04:47:03 CDT 2004

> Unfortunately, this only gives access to the very broken HTTP
> authentication layer which, while useful for small scale work, tends to
> be problematic for real-world applications in my experience.

Now you've pressed my buttons.. :) HTTP is my favourite protocol!! It
has no flaws!!! the dictionary should change the spelling of Referer to
correctly reflect the protocol!!! yeah ok, i'm over it... :) i actually
tend to like HTTP auth because it makes automating a site with wget/et
al trivial as distinct from fooling around with session cookies and POST
requests, which, while possible is not fun.

> Specifically, the lack of any way to 'log out' of the system and the
> difficulty in implementing any sort of single sign on[1] across servers
> are usually the killers out in the wild.

the ability to log out has become a little weird imho, given that the
major browsers offer to "remember" password fields anyway, so the
ability to log back in again is usually a click away.  Hmmm.... i think
i may need to check out an idea...

single sign on is a necessary thing sometimes thou, and as mentioned by
paul the mod_perl.com example is a good one.  It just depends on whether
your application needs to jump across multiple domains.