Tonight's talks

leif.eriksen at hpa.com.au leif.eriksen at hpa.com.au
Tue Apr 13 21:05:45 CDT 2004

Um, yeah --- me. Not sure if this is before or after Paul...

Summary

XML development typically proceeds down one of the two main paradigms of XML processing - SAX or DOM. Each paradigm brings with it different design strengths and weakness, and requires a developer to know which approach matches best with the requirements in hand.

This talk shows two Perl implementations of the same set of requirements - one using the DOM paradigm, using XML::Simple, and the other using the SAX paradigm, using XML::Parser. The differences in code structure are striking, and the problem areas for each approach are quiet distinct.

Hopefully Perl developers will come away from this talk ( and code walk-through ) with a better understanding of when to commit to a particular paradigm at the start of a project.

Leif Eriksen
Snr Developer
ph +61 3 9217 5545
leif.eriksen at hpa.com.au