Perl work at Monash

Andrew Savige ajsavige at yahoo.com.au
Mon Sep 8 07:15:40 CDT 2003

Timothy S. Nelson wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Nathan Bailey wrote:
>
> > 1) Would be interested in general comments (i.e. from everyone) on the
> > "Perl career progression" at:
> > 	http://polynate.net/work/perl_career.html
>
> 	Looks good.  The only "problem" is that it's specific to your
> field/job (ie. something more general would be cool).

Agreed. Perl is a *general-purpose* programming language, not restricted
to the World Wide Web -- despite what the Oxford dictionary may say. ;-)

I was dismayed when http://use.perl.org reported that the Oxford
Dictionary had added the following cut-down description of Perl:
"Perl. noun [mass noun]. Computing. a high-level programming language used
especially for applications running on the World Wide Web. ORIGIN 1980s:
respelling of PEARL, arbitrarily chosen for its positive connotations".

The original proposed entry was much longer and included the phrase
"widely used for a variety of tasks" which was removed to save space.
Reminds me of the abbreviated "mostly harmless" description of Earth
in Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.

/-\

http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search