Hello Melbourne PM

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Thu Jun 19 03:04:23 CDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 10:08:59PM -0400, ross-perl at lonsteins.com wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 11:54:25AM +1000, Paul Fenwick wrote:
> 	[snip]
> > Welcome to the list!  Melbourne is a little bit distant from NSW
> > (we're in the next state down), but we do have regular meetings the
>
> I'm driving from Sydney to Melbourne and stopping for whatever in
> between over the span of two weeks. No fixed itinerary yet.

cool, that's a good trip - the longer road following the coast at least (the
much shorter and faster Hume highway is pretty boring, long stretches of
nothingness).  very pleasant if you take it slow and do it over 3 or 4 days.

FYI, one thing that visitors to australia often don't realise is that when you
look at a country road map and it doesn't show anything between one little town
and the next little town 50 or 100km or more away, that the map is accurate.
there are long stretches of farmland or bush, with no shops or petrol stations
or anything.

i only mention this because i've had visiting friends from europe who just
assumed that they would be able to buy petrol before they run out.  bad
assumption.

craig