Newbie question

Jobst Schmalenbach jobst at barrett.com.au
Wed Jul 23 02:13:36 CDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 04:36:42PM +1000, Dayton, Bryan (BDayton at portphillip.vic.gov.au) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just started on Perl - having just done a two day course - and been asked to maintain a heap of perl scripts that are activated via action items on html forms.
>
> Is it possible turn on perl debugging in this environment (html) so I can see what the scripts are doing?

The easiest way (IMHO) is to use

  print STDERR "some message: $somevar\n";

which will output to the stderr of the webserver, which is (in most cases) a file
specified in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf (if you are on a *unix box);

   ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/error_log

You can then simply

   tail -f /var/log/httpd/error_log

and you will see your messages.

jobst

--
C is a write-only language.

             __, Jobst Schmalenbach, jobst at barrett.com.au, Technical Director
   _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L
 -(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia