Performance of chained methods.

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Tue Oct 29 23:56:09 CST 2002

On Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002, at 16:38 Australia/Melbourne, Daniel
Walmsley wrote:

> As soon as one procedure returns undef, the subsequent call will fail,
> and
> the failure will chain back down without reaching out to the end. I
> think.

Yes I know, that is why my three methods cater for that each time.

> That is:
> Example 1:
> 1) FirstMethod works
> 2) AnotherMethod fails, returns undef
> 3) Perl barfs when asked to call MoreMethods
> 4) You return undef
>
> Example 2:
> 1) FirstMethod fails
> 2) Perl barfs when asked to call AnotherMethod
> 3) You return undef
>
> Therefore I don't see it as being any less efficient than any other
> way,
> UNLESS Perl is automatically breaking it into separate statements with
> separate return values without treating it like one big "block" that
> can die
> at any step and return.
>
> Whoops, I guess I just failed to answer your question. Bugger it, I'll
> hit
> send anyway.
>
> As to whether it's "bad practise", I guess it depends on whether
> anyone who
> cares about that sort of thing is ever going to look at your code
> again ;)

The eval{} method works perfectly, and in theory eval {} has almost no
performance hit, however I FEEL like I am doing a VERY bad think ;-) i
don't like bad hacks.

Scott Penrose
VP in charge of Pancakes
http://linux.dd.com.au/
scottp at dd.com.au

Dismaimer: If you receive this email in error - please eat it
immediately to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands.