Paradigms for CGI application development?

Daniel Walmsley daniel at landmarksoftware.com.au
Wed Nov 6 18:00:25 CST 2002

Just quickly, there has been a significant amount of work done to bring
ASP.NET and ADO.NET to Ximian's Mono:

http://www.go-mono.com/asp-net.html

These may (eventually) provide the features we're looking for - including
Apache integration!

It may not be everyone's cup'o'tea, but kudos to Ximian for having the guts
to commit to something like this. This is what needs to happen to break the
Microsoft "Embrace and Extend" strategy - do it to them before they do it to
you! :P Which is more likely to become the commodity .NET runtime:
Microsoft's Windows-only version, or one that works the same on Windows, OS
X, BSD, Linux, QNX, and others? ooooo-er!

The Mono project is currently trying to produce neat-o parsers and code
generators to replicate some of the groovy functionality found in VS.NET.
There is also a free .NET IDE that looks like it could eventually take on
VS.NET - SharpDevelop. It runs on the .NET runtime, too.

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/default.asp

Now, we can use ASP (or any new open-source equivalent) for the front-end,
MySQL for the back end, and Perl for what it was designed to do - gluing it
all together. Spitting out html from Perl directly always felt like a hack
;)

Cheers,
Danger