Paradigms for CGI application development?

David Dick david_dick at iprimus.com.au
Wed Nov 6 00:48:23 CST 2002

Michael Stillwell wrote:

> Good CGI discussion this week!
>
> I've been thinking recently about some of the more crapful aspects of
> CGI application development.  In particular, what techniques to people
> use to get around the fact that CGI applications don't get the
> (surprisingly helpful) implicit preconditions and automatic stack and
> scope maintenance bits and pieces that regular applications get for
> free (simply by ordering and nesting statements)?

The way i've always thought of it is that CGI/mod_perl development is
_always_ going to be significantly slower than GUI apps to develop,
because you have to build everything in CGI from scratch, namely the
truely horrific possiblities of stateless connections (attaching
last_updated & last_updated_by fields to _every_ screen of updatable
data  at least).  However, the longer development cycle is far
outweighed by the fact that a bugfix/feature add to an application
rolled out to 100's+ users can be re-rolled out in a matter of
milli-seconds with a CGI app.  (It also means that you are developing
with the maintenance cycle in mind, so it's more important than usual to
comment and code cleanly. :)

Another thing is that lots of the stuff you mention can be significantly
reduced by getting a good application framework.  I can't say I can
recommend one (anyone?), cos I tend to carry around one that i wrote
myself, but once you get comfortable with a good framework, a lot of
these hassles should go away.