CGI Development - Multiple Entry or Dispatch

Joshua Goodall joshua at roughtrade.net
Mon Nov 4 06:26:29 CST 2002

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 06:49:30PM +0000, David Dick wrote:
> >This is not unlike the container model of a J2EE server, although
> >without any of the sophistication (resource/instance pooling etc).
> >
> where does J2EE implement this sort of stuff? I always imagined that
> instance pooling would be handled by a some sort of proxy thingy
> inbetween the script and MyImplementation method, like
>
> my $m = proxy_new MyImplementation;
>
> to allow for the pooling to be used by cron jobs for example.  Or am i
> completely off the wall here?

You're not at all, as far as I know; in particular I had in mind
the life-cycle of a J2EE Session EJB.  Although in J2EE, it's up to
the container (a subsection of the application server) precisely when to
instantiate for you, and it's typically abstracted through a directory
service and an abstractfactory pattern.

It's quite overblown outside of multi-tier applications.

> i would argue that can be a strength of multiple methods.  It forces a
> private vs public methods implementation, and stops a later developer
> from blowing a hole in the application by developing
> MyImplemention->admin_function() only to find out that without his/her
> knowledge, it's become a function available to anyone with a web browser.

I think only a very naive implementation of the dispatch approach
would allow such.  E.g., all the sample code in this thread checked the
allowedness of a method.

--
Joshua Goodall
joshua at roughtrade.net               "Your byte hit ratio is weak, old man"