Melb.pm meetings

Paul Fenwick pjf at perltraining.com.au
Wed Jan 16 20:54:56 CST 2002

G'day (All|Scotty),

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 08:23:03PM +1100, Scott Penrose wrote:

> > 	I haven't heard any objections to the 2nd Wednesday of
> > each month at 6pm idea, so I presume that everyone's happy with
> > it.  So, I'm going to start putting names with dates and see
> > how people react.  :)
>
> Yes you did. I objected ot the time. I am concerned that people will not
> be able to get there in time :-)

Oh, that's not the way in which democratic despotism is supposed to
work.  You're not supposed to object. :)

Anyone else prefer a later starting time?  I know that Scott can make
it from his office to MyInternet in time. :)

> I am happy to fit in a few (since I suggested it :-)

[snip]

> 	More Advanced
> 		- XML::Parser
> 		- overload
> 		- VCS
> 		- Device::SerialPort (and my own Device::SerialPort2)
>
> Just slot em in Paul.

Well, I have to admit that I'm interested in the advanced modules
(all of them), and would be delighted to see any of them presented
at the Feb meeting.  XML still seems to be a big buzzword these
days, so I'd hope that XML::Parser would have universal appeal.

> As a talk (maybe June...) I can do a talk on Unicode in perl (in
> particular utf8)

Oooh, I for one would very much like a talk on Unicode in Perl.
In fact, given that Jeremy/Rob won't be doing the Feb talk,
I'd be happy for you to volunteer.  :)  (Otherwise I already have
most of the material ready for Perl Redispatch)

> > I'm happy to volunteer myself for a short humourous talk on
> > using strict for the Feb meeting.  :)
>
> You mean there are people out there not using strict :-)
> Only kidding. Damian would have lots to say about only using police if
> you are in New York, and needing only Mounties if in Canada :-)

Hard to believe, I know, but there are still some people who don't
use strict.  I'm going to show a couple of tricks that will make
life without strict just a little more plesant.  :)

Cheers,

	Paul

--
Paul Fenwick <pjf at perltraining.com.au> | http://perltraining.com.au/