Melb.pm meetings

Paul Fenwick pjf at perltraining.com.au
Wed Jan 9 22:48:17 CST 2002

G'day Scott/Mongers,

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 12:33:11PM +1100, Scott Penrose wrote:

> Personally I can't see a reason to NOT use strict...
> However, in Damians case, especially modules such as "NEXT" (one of my
> favorite examples of why perl is cool, an extension to the language
> written in native perl) you have to not use strict.

*ahem*  NEXT.pm uses strict. :)

Of course, Damian removed all the in-line comments explaining how
it all works from the patches I sent him.  Hence the code
as you see it today (0.50).

If anyone's really curious as to how NEXT works, I'm sure I've
got the original patches around someplace.

> I have a philosophy that I try and force on our developers where I work,
> which is you can do bad evil things in perl (eg: NEXT) and that is fine,
> but abstract it off into a separate module, both reusable and easy to
> test, code review etc.

I'd say the same should go for nice good things written in Perl as well.
Code reuse is your friend. :)

Cheers,

	Paul

--