Red Hat, RPMs and Perl

Joshua Goodall joshua at roughtrade.net
Tue Aug 20 22:42:37 CDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 12:25:27PM +1000, Simon Taylor wrote:
> Our 10c worth is that we have taken the CPAN only approach on our servers and
> on all our clients servers.
>
> We remove the vendors packages completely, install perl from source and use
> the CPAN module to install everything else.

FreeBSD 5.0's perl port will include a very nice facility called
BSDPAN which basically integrates CPAN and the standard freebsd
package system; that is, installing via CPAN results in a system
package appearing that can then also be passed around.

The general idea of abstracting ones package management to fit that
of an upstream "vendor" seems to me very desirable.