[mnw.pm] Booth Babe rant

Uri Guttman uri at sysarch.com
Fri Jul 7 21:02:01 CDT 2000

  LN> On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Chris Nandor wrote:

  >> I don't follow this (perhaps because of my ignorance).  Does the "Web
  >> Community" have a lot more women in it?  Would those women have a tendency
  >> to learn Perl?

  LN> Yes it does.  Many women entered the web world from related fields like
  LN> graphics arts, publishing, etc., not traditional 'hard-core' tech fields
  LN> or programming.  My local web women group, DCWebWomen has over 3000
  LN> members.

  LN> I'm sure some of these women have a desire to learn perl, just as they
  LN> learn other techniques for web development.

i was meeting randal at a web developers conference he taught at this
spring and we met some female attendees. we talked with them about that
very subject and i agree with lisa. many women are getting into web
development from the artistic/text/publishing side. and they are
starting to learn perl as it is a popular web technology (duh!).  the
numbers of women web designers learning perl is small but growing. it is
not to be sniffed at. they may not turn into full time perl hackers and
some will never get it (some people just can't grok programming no
matter how smart they are). many will attend perl classes at web
conferences but not likely go to yapc or tpc. and many/most only want to
know about perl from a web/cgi/maybe dbi point of view.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  uri at sysarch.com  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting