[mnw.pm] Re: Booth Babe rant

David H. Adler dha at panix.com
Fri Jul 7 17:22:05 CDT 2000

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 04:13:07PM -0500, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote:

> I wasn't thrilled by the PM endorsing this same sort of
> behaviour/marketing tactic, but considering that the majority of people at
> YAPC & TPC are male and show no signs of there ever being an influx
> of women and the men seem to enjoy this sort of thing who could blame them
> for using proven techniques? Now, if we could only make vines to swing
> from and loincloths mandatory for male attendees it could be very
> interesting :)

"Interesting" is one of those words... :-)

Although I'm not going to take a side in this discussion, if only
because I don't really have the time for it, I do find it interesting
that there appears to be an implicit assumption that if one acts as a
"booth babe", that is all that one is.  Personally, I think of it as a
job description more than anything else.  I certainly have no interest
in interacting with anyone that has nothing more to offer than a big
smile and a bikini-friendly figure.  Hmm... that must be why I tend
not to go to tractor shows... :-)

As I happen to know the PM booth babe, I know that that is probably
the least of her talents (and I only say probably because she may have
some even less interesting talent of which I am unaware...).
Furthermore, if you do think that's all she is, I would advise you not
to mention it to her, for the sake of your health, if for no other
reason. :-)

Dave, paring this down to one list because he's sick of having three
of these show up in his mailbox...

--
David H. Adler - <dha at panix.com> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
Trained Philosopher: Will Think For Food