[mnw.pm] Re: Booth Babe rant

Chris Nandor pudge at pobox.com
Fri Jul 7 15:16:12 CDT 2000

At 15.01 -0500 2000.07.07, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote:
>Chris Nandor [pudge at pobox.com] quoth:
>*>At 13.50 -0500 2000.07.07, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote:
>*>>It's time to get tired enough of this behaviour, especially since we
>*>>aren't going away.
>*>
>*>Does this mean you didn't appreciate the Perl Mongers booth babe at
>*>yapc::America?
>
>I can always appreciate the fact that tactics over 2000 years old, still
>work today. However, one can always lament how slow the industry is to
>realise that a good chunk of gamers, SAs, programmers, etc. are in fact
>women who may or may not appreciate said 'sexploitation'. I know quite a
>few men in the industry who don't appreciate it either so I'm not really
>certain who the target audience is for these marketing schemes.
>
>Besides, at $400-$600 per day for such services, I'm obviously on the
>wrong side of the business. Understanding how something works doesn't mean
>that it will lead to appreciation.

What bothers me is that we are saying it is OK to objectify people, to
focus on appearance instead of substance.  It annoys me greatly.  I am sure
many people don't feel as I do, but I think this kind of focus on the
external is a seriously damaging force in our society, and I don't like it.

--
Chris Nandor       |     pudge at pobox.com      |     http://pudge.net/
Andover.Net        | chris.nandor at andover.net | http://slashcode.com/