A bit of Perl Xmas Cheer

stimpy stimpy at paralynx.com
Wed Dec 9 17:00:08 CST 1998

>1) What do you like most about perl?

Right now, seeing as how I'm a beginner, I'm pleased that Perl is
relatively easy to start with (well documented, and has a lot of friendly
geeks around willing to help).  I'm pleased that from my own perspective, I
can do tutorials and exercises in Perl, help make larger projects by
helping out with pieces of code, yet it's still flexible enough to do very
large and complex projects for those who are more capable than I.  When I
was learning C and C++, I felt that a lot of the tutorials and exercises I
did were kind of futile -- taught you something, but weren't really useful.
The stuff I'm learning in Perl is more immediately applicable (for example,
working on a small program that allows Brad and I to whisper back and forth
when he's at work -- kind of like ICQ, but smaller, and one that will
perhaps work better).  It may be that I have found better resources for
learning Perl than I had when learning C/C++, but it's making a big
difference in sustaining my interest in learning the language.

>2) Why did you start using perl?

I wanted to be able to get the jokes.  :)  Well, that, and I feel that
programming languages are like any other language -- it can't hurt to have
some skill in a foreign tongue, even if you never learn to speak it really
well.

>3) What would you like to know how to do with perl?

I can't think of any specific items around this question.  I think I come
up with ten answers to this question every day, but they're kind of
immediate, panic issues.  Right now, my main objectives are making our home
system a more friendly place for our friends to use when they log in for
mail, etc.  I know that there are preexisting apps out there that do a lot
of the things we want to do in our system, so I tend to look at the code
that's already there, see why they did what they did, and then compare it
to what I tried to do.  Very instructive.

>4) Are there other women around you in a technical position?

Not really, not people who are on the level of playing with languages,
anyway.  I know some who are computer literate, and some who are geekly in
other ways (more app oriented than OS/programming oriented), but I think
I'm the most technical female I know (other than elaine and the few others
I've met on the 'Net).  I don't work in the industry, though.  There is a
pretty large number of computer professional females in Vancouver, I just
don't know them personally.

>e.

Elaine, it's your turn!  You didn't answer your own questionnaire.  :

stimps

Anyone found bipedal in five wears his ass for a hat!
                  stimpy at paralynx.com