Graphics Programming with Perl Book for Perl Mongers

Simon Oliver simon.oliver at umist.ac.uk
Tue Jun 18 03:04:16 CDT 2002

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] GDTextUtils 0.83
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:28:08 +1000
From: Martien Verbruggen <mgjv at tradingpost.com>
To: Simon Oliver <simon.oliver at umist.ac.uk>
<3D0DA70B.ACD1C7F8 at umist.ac.uk>

On Mon 17 Jun 10:08 AM, Simon Oliver wrote:

> Martien, I advertised your new book "Graphics Programming with Perl" on
> the Manchester.PM mailing and received the following question.  I replied
> to the best of my ability but perhaps you could explain exactly how much
> of the book is Win32 usable - which of the modules/tools described in the
> book work (and don't work) under Win32?
>
> --
>   Simon Oliver
>
> Ian Taite wrote:
> >
> > I'd be interested to know how much of this is usable on NT/2K systems; I've
> > got no experience of compiling from scratch under Windows.
>
> >From the contents page:
>
>  The tools 29
>          The Chart::* modules 29 . Gnuplot 29
>          GD 29 . GD::Graph, GIFgraph and Chart::PNGgraph 30
>          GD::Text 30 . The Gimp 30 . Image::Magick 30
>          Image::Size 31 . Inline 31 . OpenGL 32
>          PGPLOT 32 . RenderMan 33 . Term::Gnuplot 33
>
> Of these I know that the GD::* and Image::Magick modules are available for
> Win32.  I also know that gnuplot, Gimp and pgplot are available for Win32
> but I haven't used them from perl.

Of the tools above, GD, Chart::*, Gnuplot, GD::Graph (and GIFgraph and
Chart::PNGgraph), GD::Text, Image::Magick and Image::Size should all
be available directly from ActiveState. Image::Magick is also
available as a binary download from www.imagemagick.org, and I'd
probably recommend using that.

In that list, I didn't mention the PDL, but that is also available
from ActiveState.

The Inline module works on Win32, but does, of course, require a
compiler installed.

I do not know whether there are precompiled modules for OpenGL,
PGPLOT, RenderMan and Term::Gnuplot for Win32. All four require
external libraries available, and compilation of C source. Maybe
someone has done the work, and compiled it.

I just did a search on Google, and after that on aspn.activestate.com,
and found that OpenGL is there, and so are PGPLOT and RenderMan and
Term::Gnuplot, at least their documentation is. I don't use
ActiveState Perl myself, so I don't really know how to find whether
those modules are actually there as downloads for Win32 as well. You
could have a look around there.

Of course, any external libraries needed for these tools will still
have to be seperately installed.

Regards,
Martien
--

Martien Verbruggen      | Freudian slip: when you say one thing but
Trading Post Australia  | mean your mother.