[Madrid-pm] Looking for help with Spanish translation parts of the perldoc

Gabor Szabo szabgab en gmail.com
Mar Feb 10 07:06:25 PST 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Enrique Nell <blas.gordon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Gabor
>
> We met in Copenhagen at the YAPC 2008.

Yes indeed.

> I will be glad to translate the perldiag entries, if you wish.

That would be great. It will allow Spanish users to get sane explanations
of what went wrong in their Perl code. It is not Padre specific, Padre
only makes it available to the users.

> I'm a professional translator (and amateur programmer) with more than
> 15 years experience working for companies like Microsoft and
> Macromedia (now Adobe).

Oh we need professional translators as I think most of out translators
are primarily programmers and only amateur translators though I cannot
really judge. You might also want to help out with the translation of the GUI
just coordinate with Paco Alguacil who had the initial translation.

On the other hand actually especially with perldiag but with perldoc in general
I am not sure we need real translations. IMHO perldiag is often
"true but useless" for a beginner. An additional interesting part will
be to try to be both true and useful :-).

e.g.

Global symbol "%s" requires explicit package name

(F) You've said "use strict" or "use strict vars", which indicates
that all variables
must either be lexically scoped (using "my" or "state"), declared
beforehand using "our", or explicitly qualified to say which package
the global variable is in (using "::").

while a beginner probably needs something like this:

You have forgotten to declare the variable using "my" or it was declared in
another scope or it has a typo.

The first is true but a beginner who has just learned about "use strict" and
"my" won't know what is "use strict vars", what is "state", "our" and what
is a package global variable...

> I don't have much experience doing open source translation, but if you
> need a reference, I translated Act into Spanish recently, kindly
> assisted by Roberto Henríquez, Joaquín Ferrero and Alex Muntada as
> proofreaders.
> They may want to join in as proofreaders once again:-)

A bigger team will be able to translate (or rewrite) more parts of the perldoc.

> I'm very interested in Padre, but haven't got involved yet, mainly
> because I'm usually quite busy. On the other hand, my main development
> machine is a Mac and I couldn't manage to install it there (I think my
> last try was with version 0.21; I used wxperl, but something didn't
> work. I will try again). I could run it on a Windows machine with
> Portable Strawberry Perl, and it looks very nice (I have only used the
> English GUI, though).

Mac is a sore point but we had success reports so if you join our mailing list
http://mail.perlide.org/mailman/listinfo/padre-dev
and/or join our IRC channel #padre I am sure some people will be able to help.

> Are there any glossaries or style guides available for the Padre
> localization project?

The only thing we have is http://padre.perlide.org/wiki/TranslationIntro
we welcome any help with the translation guides.

regards
  Gabor

--
Gabor Szabo                     http://szabgab.com/blog.html