[LA.pm] Fwd: OT: Visiting California with family

Jeremy Leader jleader at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Feb 15 11:01:01 PST 2011

I believe Vasquez Rocks is now a county park. It'll also probably be oddly
familiar, because literally thousands of movies, TV shows, and commercials have
been filmed there over the years, and the rock formations are very distinctive.

Another interesting natural area is Channel Islands National Park.  The islands
are reachable by boat from Ventura; there are one or two companies that run day
trips to the closest islands.  There's also Catalina Island, closer to LA, which
is partly developed and partly nature preserves.

Filmmaking is a relatively hard thing to catch, because while there are always
crews filming all over Los Angeles, they don't publicize their locations.  I've
heard that Warner Brothers and Paramount both offer tours of their studios and
backlots, but I don't know much about them.

There are some smaller aquaria in Los Angeles that I actually like better than
the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The Aquarium of the Pacific, in Long Beach, is only a
little smaller than Monterey. Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, in Long Beach, is quite
a bit smaller (and less expensive), but very interesting.

I'd second the recommendation for the Southwest Museum, it has a fantastic
collection of local native american artifacts, but I believe it's closed.  It's
apparently been merged administratively with the Autry Musuem, which is more
about the fictional concept of "the West" (i.e. lots of old Hollywood cowboy
movie artifacts, etc.).

This year, my kids' school district (maybe 10K students) has spring break the
first full week of April.  Los Angeles Unified School District (700K students)
has spring break the 3rd full week of April.  Other districts will probably
vary; I'd guess many will have their breaks before or after Easter, the 3rd or
4th full week of April.

--
Jeremy Leader
jleader at alumni.caltech.edu