[LA.pm] OT: Visiting California with family

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 18:10:33 PST 2011

No recommendation on dates.

http://www.ocgp.org/visit/balloon/ is kind of fun.  (They say they
close at 3.  Don't believe it, they close when the wind picks up.)

Go for a hike in the Santa Monica mountains.

If you have time for a car trip, take highway 1 up to Big Sur.  It is
one of the most beautiful drives in the world.  Personally I tend to
do it as getting to San Simeon on one day, find a hotel with nice hot
spring water.  The next day drive up highway 1 to Big Sur.  The
following day enjoy Big Sur for a bit, then go to the Monterey Bay
Aquarium.  From there head up to the Bay area.  I would try to do that
during the week to cut down on tourists.

Do your kids like natural history?  The Page museum at the La Brea tar
pits is interesting.  Also you can go to the Museum of Natural History
in Los Angeles.  (But if you're going to San Francisco, I prefer the
California Academy of Sciences.)