[LA.pm] Anthony Curtis presents Perl Stored Procedures for MySQL

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Tue Aug 18 20:01:22 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:35:36AM +0800, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2009, at 4:24, David Fetter wrote:
>
>> So MySQL is starting to catch up to where PostgreSQL was,
>> <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-7-0.html>
>> almost ten years ago?
>
> I love how indignant pgsql users often are that anyone would use
> something else; all the while "modern" implementations are moving
> away  from having or using any sort of fancy features in the storage
> layer.  :-)

Here's how it goes, over and over and over again: when MySQL doesn't
have it, it's fluff and nobody could possibly want such frippery, let
alone need it.  When they get some kind of nonstandard, buggy,
hemipygian implementation, it's suddenly the greatest thing and you
can't live without it.

As to this, "storage layer" business, that's what we call the stuff at
the other end of the SCSI (alternate spelling: SAS) cable, or if
you're unlucky, the network cable.

Jim Gray <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Gray_%28computer_scientist%29>
measured this back in 2003, and those metrics have moved even further
toward his conclusion, which was essentially, "do all the processing
you can as close to where the data lives as you can arrange it."

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=70001

Cheers,
David.
--