[LA.pm] Fwd: hollywood.pm.org

Allen Day allenday at ucla.edu
Thu Feb 2 16:48:00 PST 2006

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Peter Benjamin wrote:

> At 02:18 PM 2/2/2006, Allen Day wrote:
> >Or plot yourself here:
> >
> >http://www.wooly.org/geodas/LA.pm.cgi
>

> Great.  Now I do not have to summarize everyone's location posts.

Yeah, that was the point :-)

> However, it did not take my submission, even after I zoomed.
> And no one else is present?
>
> What's up?

Some weird thing with the GMaps API.  Sometimes the <iframe/> doesn't show
markers placed with the Javascript calls.  Sometimes it doesn't use the
specified custom PNG.  I don't know how to fix it -- my best advice is to
just hit reload.  Sorry!

> When it works, could someone add Ticketmaster's location?
>
> And even where our past meetings have been?
>
> Do you have code to share?

Well, I'm using Geo::Google
(http://search.cpan.org/~allenday/Geo-Google-0.01/), but apparently in the
last few months the undocumented backend Google Maps XML format for
converting address -> lat/lng has been converted to non-XML and broken the
code.  I hacked my local copy today to get lookups working again -- will
release a new version sometime.  Patches welcome, of course!

The web interface is part of a shared annotation system I cooked up a
while ago, there is some documentation here, but the whole thing is
pre-alpha:

http://sumo.ctrl.ucla.edu/~allenday/geodas/README

Another example of my local restaurant picks here:

http://www.wooly.org/geodas/?s=http://www.wooly.org/favorites

-Allen