[LA.pm] Need more input: So far positive on a booth

Juan Jose Natera naterajj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 12:02:22 PST 2006

Todd,

> 1). Do stints in the booth talking to people who might be interested in the
> LA.pm specifically and perl in general. I'd expect the commitment to be
> something in the range of 2-3 hours.

I volunteer for this.

> 3). I'll need a team (or two) of demo-builders. Here are some ideas...
>     B). Something comparing cgi, fastcgi, mod_perl/prefork,
> mod_perl/threaded, modperl::registry vs mod_perl-handler with an automated
> benchmark/graphing tool in semi real-time (i.e., live, cool graphics showing
> off the major speed and performance achievable with modr-Per-handlers,
> etc.).

I volunteer for this as well, I have an idea about how make the
graphics update "real-time".

>     D: We also had suggestions for the following demos... I'm open to all
> but we need people to build them and be ready to show others who to show
> them off OR plan to be in the booth most of the time to do the demos.
>

>                * An OpenGL application, doing simple things in 3D.
>
>                * A Perl-GTK application.
>
>                * A wxPerl application.

These are things that are easy to show at a booth and can be
continuously running, also show some of the things Perl is not very
well known for, but they kind of lack a punch. If people like these
however, I could build something to demo or simple a Perl screensaver
of sorts to run at the booth when there are no demos going on.

> I'm not stuck on these ideas, so if you have a better idea, please let me
> know. In the long-run, the deciding factor is going to be who jumps up and
> says "I'll work on this with Bob, Mary, Joe, etc. and pull this together for
> the group." I'll be clear on this, I can't set up these demos since I'm too
> much of a newbie.
>
> 4). People to volunteer machines for the demo. Ideally, this will be the
> people who create the demo in the first place since it would probably be
> much easier to build and deploy on the same machine, but...

I can volunteer an oldish SMP headless workstation to run B or C and
anyone could demo them with a laptop, It would be nice to have a
couple of big monitors, which I don't have.

Another option to deploy the demos is to use VMware virtual machines,
that way anyone running Windows or Linux could show them or attendees
could even take them home to play with.

Best regards,

Juan Natera