[LA.pm] Hello

bill at daze.net bill at daze.net
Sat Oct 9 04:26:07 CDT 2004

> pretty much. The traffic picks up whenever we're discussing where to eat for
> the next get-together, but UUASC seems to have more Perl traffic than LA.pm.

Which reminds me... there was talk on this list about having a meeting
sometime in the future.  Well, UUASC-OC is having a meeting about Perl
this *Monday* near John Wayne Airport in Irvine.  Here is the announcement:

                  UUASC-OC
Unix Users Association of Southern California
            Orange County Chapter
               October Meeting

            Poor Perl Programming

           Monday, Oct. 11, 7-9 PM

            Sun Microsystems, Inc.
         2020 S. Main St. in Irvine
                 12th Floor

NOTE: PLEASE BE AWARE OF OUR NEW LOCATION.

UUASC prides itself on presenting fair and balanced UNIX. After hosting a
series of lessons on AWK during the past couple of years, we felt it
necessary to provide a Perl tutorial.

Kenytt Avery, one of UUASC's resident Perl programmers, maintains that
Perl has a reputation for being ugly because too many people insist on
writing poor code. At the October meeting of UUASC-OC, Kenytt will take
some really bad Perl scripts and show us how to whip them into shape.

He will show us some common errors, how to fix them, and how some common
Perl idioms can make your code easier to read and maintain.  Examples will
be drawn from open source projects such as NMIS, MetaDot, and LogWatch,
and names will not be changed to protect the guilty.

Kenytt once had the goal of acheiving more industry certifications than
any other unemployed sysadmin, but is now gainfully employed by Willing
Minds LLC, http://www.willingminds.com . He wrote his first Perl program
in 1993.

POST-MEETING ACTIVITIES: Join us at the Pilsner Room, within walking
distance.

AFTER HOURS ACCESS: The Sun building's doors are locked at 7 p.m. If you
arrive late, please contact the guard at 949 - 372 - 2937 for access.

CARPOOL INFO: If you are interested in joining a carpool with other
members, please post an email to the general list, uuasc at uuasc.org ,
requesting carpool info.

PARKING: Convenient FREE parking is located next to the Sun office
building in the visitor parking lot for after hours usage. Take a ticket
when entering the garage but don't be concerned - no one will be there to
collect money when the meeting ends, so you can exit for free.

DIRECTIONS: Exit the San Diego Freeway (I-405) at MacArthur, go north
(away from the airport) to the signal at Main Street (the first
cross-street), turn right to Mercantile (the first signal on Main Street),
turn right to parking. Please visit our web site, http://uuasc.org/oc.html
, where you will find a detailed map. Here's an ASCII version:

            |    Mercantile           | Gillette
            |         v               |
  Main -----+---------+---------------+-----------
            |         | ElTorito      |
            |         |               |
            |         | Sun           |
            |         \_______________/
            +--\     parking
  405 ======|=====================================
            |  \/
   Airport  +--/    (all intersections shown
            |        have signals (+))

The El Torito is on the corner and can serve as a landmark. The Pilsner
Room is at the other end of the same block, Gillette and Main. The Sun
building is behind the one with El Torito. 949-833-1640.

UUASC-OC wants to thank our host, Sun Microsystems, for the continued
support of our meetings.

The UUASC is for all persons using Unix either personally or
professionally, or interested in learning more about Unix. We recognize
all varieties of Unix, including (without prejudice) HP/UX, Linux, SVr4,
Solaris, AIX, and BSD.  This is a good place to meet others with similar
interests and broaden your skills and knowledge. Generally, meetings
include a technical presentation on a hardware or software topic of
current interest to the Unix community and a round-table discussion of
current topics of interest to the group. We are always looking for
interesting presentations and your suggestions are most welcome.

Please join us this month and bring along your friends or co-workers.
Also, please forward this announcement to others who may be interested and
feel free to post it to wherever you wish, both electronically and
physically. If you receive more than one announcement by email, please let
us know so we can keep our lists current.