[LA.pm] "Enterprise" perl

James Pitts jamespitts at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 4 18:20:32 CST 2002

I am leaning toward using XML::RPC for client-server communications. I am also considering using Jabber (I think that it can do two-way streaming in xml). These are a lot "heavier" than a custom protocol, but it will be a lot easier for players to write their own custom clients.
The data between the client and server will be minimal - i.e. the game design will not involve a constant flood of activity from any given player (it won't be about who can generate the most actions per sec). Where possible, clients will contact each other directly (such as messaging).
All game play can occur from a command line custom client. Over time, I can see the client making more and more use of graphics, but all game logic will run on the server to prevent cheating.
- James
 Ask Bjoern Hansen <ask at develooper.com> wrote:
It really all depends on what you are trying to do. What interface
does the clients have? How often do they update? How much data?
What are the latency issues? How much work does the server do?
etc etc.

:-)

- ask

--