LPM: lightweight TCP client

Joe Hourcle oneiros at dcr.net
Fri Mar 31 11:21:09 CST 2000

I was wondering if anyone had any good recomendations for a lightweight
TCP client?

For way too many years, I've been using hacks, (well, probably because I
learned to do it that way), and making calls to 'lynx' or 'wget' to handle
snarfing files through HTTP, but I want to correct my bad habits, and I
wanted to know what other people suggested.

Net::libnet comes close, as it implements SMTP, NNTP, FTP, etc, but not
HTTP.  [not that I really need it to be fully aware, as I'll be generating
te headers required, and handling the parsing myself.]

(I hacked up MIT's http-get years ago, so it'd handle URI formated
locations, and I'd not have to pass it individual arguments, etc, but as
that's based on code from 1994, I'm guessing there's better stuff out
there to use these days.... and I think Mike told me that in glancing over
it, there was a big vs little endian problem with how it was handling the
connection)

-----
Joe Hourcle