LPM: Text::Template and server-side includes in HTML files

David Hempy hempy at ket.org
Thu Aug 31 14:47:27 CDT 2000

At 03:13 PM 8/31/2000 -0400, you wrote:

>the reason you cant do ssi in cgi is that ssi is parsed by the web server
>before the headers and what not are even sent out. in cgi stuff, the
>server cant parse your content because it doesnt have the data before
>sending out headers and what not.
>
>--------
>Matt Cashner

I think I see your point, but it would still be nice (and do-able) for the
server to allow parsing of CGI output.  No reason it couldn't parse the
body after the headers are already out the door.

>getting rid of the while loop is all well and good but you have to append
>to $OUT if you want reliable output in Text::Template.

Not necessarily...if $OUT doesn't get a value in the eval block, it will
use the last value evaluated within the block.  You can say:

Here are the colors: <<
         @colors = ('blue', 'green', 'red');
         join (', ' , @colors);

The last value (what join returns) will be used in the output.  About the
only time I use $OUT is when there is a loop or different values chosen by
conditionals.  If it is a straight substitution or transformation, I don't
bother.

I think of this as analogous to ending a module with "1;" so the final
value is true.

-dave

--
David Hempy